Since time immemorial, women have always colored and taken care of their nails. Coloured and manicured nails are a sign of health and beauty in women. They spend hours painting their nails or getting costly treatments done on their nails to look pretty. There are many types of nail paints available on the market. Until some years ago, nail polish was limited only to women, but today, even men apply nail paints. In this article, we will cover all the interesting features of a gel nail polish.
What is a Gel Nail Polish and How is it Different from Regular Nail Polish?
Gel polish is made of acrylic monomers and oligomers that bond together when exposed to LED lights. You can also use UV lights. While placing gel nail polish in front of LED light, the nail cures and this process is called ‘Curing’. It happens in a few seconds the liquid gel quickly turns into a hard and chemical resistant coating.
A gel nail polish is used for the popular trend of getting gel polish manicures. These nail manicures are very gentle on the natural surface of the nail and the polish stays intact without chipping, peeling or cracking for up to a couple of weeks. Gel nail polish is available in myriad hues.
Many people are unaware of the fact that this special nail polish does not hurt your nails. But if you try to pick at your gel paint, you might harm your nails, as it will also result in scraping away some part of your natural nail, making it very weak and fragile.
Features of a Gel Nail Polish:
- No particular prescription is required to use this.
- This special nail polish can be used by men as well as women.
- It can be used for toenails and fingernails.
- Imparts clearer looking nails within weeks of regular use.
- Very safe to use and easy to apply.
- Almost all the users have been 100% happy with the results.
How does a Nail Polish Apply?
Applying nail polish at home is now possible with the mentioned-below easy step-by-step guide.
What you Need:
- Gel base coat
- Gel top coat
- Nail cleanser
- Gel nail polish
- Cuticle oil
- Lint-free nail wipes
- Fine nail buffer block
Instructions for Applying Nail Polish:
- You can also buy a Gel Nail Kit which has all the above-mentioned ingredients. This kit is a great choice for those who want to apply nail polish at home.
- Prepare your nails by cleaning them and removing your old nail polish.
- Remove the extra cuticles and clean your nail plate.
- Shape the nails with a filer to get your desired shape.
- Buff your nails with a buffer block to get a shine.
- Remove the dust and wipe your nails using lint-free wipes.
- Apply a gel polish base coat with a very thin layer to seal the edges of your nails.
- Cure your nails in front of an LED lamp for 30 seconds.
- Now applying nail polish Apply in a thin layer right from the cuticle to the free edge of your nail. Seal the edges.
- Again, place your nails in front of an LED lamp for 30 seconds.
- Next, apply a thin coat of gel polish top coat from cuticle to free edge.
- Again, place your hand in front of an LED lamp for a few seconds.
- Wipe off the excess with a nail cleanser.
- Massage cuticle oil on your nails and the surrounding skin around the nails.
A gel nail polish is quite trending today because it stays shiny for long and also dries quickly when applying nail polish. Here are some FAQs regarding Gel Nail Polish:
- Can gel polish dry without UV light or LED light?
Gel polish cannot dry without being exposed to these lights as it only forms a hard layer after being exposed to these lights.
- How long does Gel Nail Polish Last?
Gel polish lasts two to three weeks on average.
- What is the cost of a gel manicure?
A gel manicure costs around $25 to $45 dollars depending upon the salon and the brand used.
- Is it possible to make your gel paint last longer than 3 weeks?
If you want your gel manicure to last really long, then you need to place your hands under a UV lamp or an LED lamp for a little while longer. A gel polish which is under-cured, won’t firm up enough and might come off easily. If you want bang for your buck, then you must place your hands under the light after the application of all the base coat, polish, and the top coat.
- Are Gel Nail Polishes Safe?
There are some studies suggesting that exposing the nails to UV light might lead to skin cancer, but there is not enough evidence to prove this. This can be prevented if users use a physical blocking sunscreen or UVA protective gloves while applying nail polish.
- Which is the best way to remove gel nail polish?
The best way to remove gel nail polish is to wipe it off with acetone. It needs to be soaked in acetone for a few minutes to loosen the hard bonds of the gel paint.
- Can I add a gel topcoat over regular nail polish to get long-lasting results?
No, gel nail polish has to be applied in a proper procedure. Regular nail polish does not dry completely for 24 hours. If you apply a top gel coat over regular nail polish, you only end up trapping the wet polish with a gel coat, which will not give satisfactory results.
- Can I use gel polish to apply nail polish for men?
Some men like to wear nail polish just like females. It makes their nails look groomed and fashionable. Some men polish only one nail to convey to the world a message. They could also be a part of a movement. But there is not special nail polish for men. Men use the same nail polish as women do.
This is a complete guide for gel nail polish. Follow the procedure and apply gel nail polish at home easily.